What I learned from my root canal.


I hate dentists. I hate making the appointments, taking work off to see them, paying them, laying in the chair, the bright light, the pokes, the prods, the paper bib, the drool, trying to answer questions with fingers in my mouth, and flossing (because it reminds me of some dentist telling me to floss more). This is completely irrational because my loathing actually stems from my experience with an orthodontist (not a dentist), but imagine my annoyance at needing a root canal.

Some people have not had the pleasure of having a root canal, like my friend Jessica. Our conversation on the subject went something like this:

Jessica: What's a root canal?
Me: You know how you and most normal people go to the dentist every six months.
J:Yeah
Me: And every once in a while you have a cavity, but it never really hurt and the dentist fills it, and its no big deal.
J: Yeah
Me: Well if you don't see the dentist often enough the cavity goes all the way to the root, where the nerves and blood supply to the tooth get infected and it hurts like hell.
J: Oh.
Me: so they have to drill out the center of the tooth and pull out all of the nerves and blood supply in the root of the tooth, fill it all back in, and put a crown on it. It's a big pain in the butt and really expensive.
J: So let me get this straight. You have to have all of this work done mainly because you didn't see the dentist every six months?
Me: Right.
J: And its dentists you hate?

Ouch.

So here is what I learned from my root canal:
  • My problems are my own fault.
  • Seeing the dentist every six months is not a scam
  • My dentist has every right to talk to me like I'm an idiot.
  • When the dentist says "don't chew on the right side," don't chew on the right side.
This is just one of many occasions where I suffered great pain to learn a simple lesson. What have you learned the hard way? (tell me in the comments.)

By the way, If you need a Dentist in Kalamazoo, Dr. Allen and Dr. Wilson are both terrific.

Photo: Betsssssy

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm still midway through my root canal therapy...you are so right.